Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Funeral

My sister asked us to take a few pictures of the funeral, and since that really means Brian, he did a great job for her. The spirit was so strong and we felt it immediately when we walked into the viewing room. It was definitely difficult to see such a small casket and small hands.We all knew Savannah wouldn't live long, but it doesn't make it any easier. The pain of her loss is still felt, especially more intensely to those who were closest to her. I could feel that she was a precious daughter to our Heavenly Father.






 I am glad we got to be there. I was overcome with emotion at times. Carissa had asked me to say the family prayer before the service and it was humbly said between sobs. We emptied several boxes of tissues. The room was full of the sweet spirit. As Brian and I drove home from Boise we talked about what a good day it was...so full of the spirit. 









My mom spoke to a multi denominational congregation and quoted President Monson who said,  "Among all the facts of mortality, none is so certain as its end. Death comes to all; it is our “universal heritage; it may claim its victim[s] in infancy or youth, [it may visit] in the period of life’s prime, or its summons may be deferred until the snows of age have gathered upon the … head; it may befall as the result of accident or disease, … or … through natural causes; but come it must.”   She went on to say how wonderful it is to know the true meaning of the Easter message, that Christ rose again and so will Savannah. She did an awesome job! 

 I love knowing that these words are more than just words to comfort those who have lost a loved on by death.  I know that they are true. There is purpose to this life. There is something on the other side of death's door and I am grateful to have the knowledge if the restored gospel to know what that "something" is... and who we are privileged to return home to. I am also grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who has sent the Holy Ghost to comfort during these times, I also felt and witnessed its power this weekend. 

One of my favorite things was the releasing of the balloons at the end. It was a quiet peaceful moment. It made me think as I watched those balloons gently float to the sky... so high until we could barely see them anymore... that it was almost as if I could imagine watching Savannah's spirit float away from earth. I'm looking forward to that sweet reunion she will have with my sister some day! I'm grateful that Savannah had the chance to be loved like a daughter here in her brief earth life. 






Savannah was burried in a beautiful cemetary with a beautiful lawn, gorgeous trees, and a pond with ducks, geese and swans. It will be a great place to visit and remember her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment