Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March Madness

Yes, Brian did get to enjoy some of the "March Madness" in Las Vegas as he cheered his cougars on in the Western Conference Tournament. BYU played some great games, I heard, but this post isn't really about that kind of march madness.

When I was pregnant with Eli, we heard this cliche saying that goes something like this: "When you have one child, you play double-team; when you have two children, you play man-to-man; when you have three, you play zone defense; and more than that you play self defense!"

I would have to agree, except the self-defence part kicks in at child #3! I admit that a lot of my blog posts are of the highlights of our family life. That's what I want to remember about this time in my life afterall. But the past few months have been especially difficult for me (and all of us, I should add). Brian has been traveling a ton more than usual. At the worst point, this last Sunday, he was home for 12 hours before he had to leave again (from 3am to 3 pm in the afternoon). The kids cried because they missed their dad so much and he was leaving again. And I was having a hard time keeping it together.

Something about fate is that whenever he is out of town, the kids get sick. All mothers know what it's like to take care of sick kids. No sleep. Fussy Children. I won't get into details. I am beat, stretched thin, and feel so overwhelmed at times that I have felt a nervous breakdown coming on! It's not just the  constant taking care of small children, but a demanding calling, teaching yoga, keeping the house clean, and training for a relay race of which I am the captain. I had no idea that I would have so much on my shoulders several months ago....

But here I am. And there isn't anything that I can change about it.

The Young Women's president in my ward began sending girls over each afternoon to help me out. An hour or two break from the kids was all I needed to be a better mom, get some things done for my calling, or even iron the clothes....A few ladies even brought dinner. All of this was so so so appreciated!

Through these past months I have learned to appreciate a few things a little more: Single mothers (my heart will forever feel for them), busy women who still find time to serve others, moms who have more than 3 children (bless you all!), prayer and priesthood blessings.

Sooo ya, I struggle. But I have been reminded, and know, what is important for me to do right now. And not everything will get done....on time.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Chelsea, I feel for you my friend! We really need some girl time. Let me know if you want to do something!!! I wish the weather would make up it's mind so we could maybe get some park days in. I'm so glad you are having some breaks with the help of the young women. And the posts on the kids were so cute. I'll make sure I remember the one about losing the Holy Ghost. :)

    ReplyDelete