Saturday, September 13, 2008

All in a Name

Finding a name for a baby can be a daunting task. Afterall, it's the name your child will have for its life....should they choose to keep it. There's the task of looking through the name book, vetoing names you have bad associations with (and ones you just plane don't like). Then there's the task of finding a name that both you and your spouse agree on. With our first, it wasn't until the day we left the hospital that we had it all figured out. I had to see my baby first to make sure the name fit him, and I had a list of "backups" just in case we decided to change it at the last minute. With our second, it has been a much easier process. We both decided and agreed on a name around the same week we found out we were having a girl. No name books, no lists to narrow down, etc. Easy as pie. And if our minds don't change in the next ten weeks, it'll stay that way.

And then there comes the issue of how to spell that wonderful name you've chosen. Brian and I have been partial to the traditional spellings. Easy and simple. With Zoe, we have teetered between adding the 'y' at the end or not (ok, I should say "I have been teetering" not "we"). It finally came to me last week as I was putting together her scrapbook... it needs the "Y"! It looked so funny without it! Brian was gone on a business trip, so on his return, I told him I made a decision without him....if he can choose the name, I get to choose the spelling! He has since teased that maybe we should spell it Zoeix, or Zoexie, or Zoeee.

Anyway, I'm saying it's official, but we'll see who gets the birth certificate filled out!

No comments:

Post a Comment