Friday, January 11, 2008

6:45 am

It was 6:45 in the morning, much too early to be getting up for any day of the week. Jackson was calling from his bedroom, "mom, come and get me!"
I groaned and rolled over to Brian and said, "I'm not ready to be mom yet for the day...." He laughed and said, "so, who do you want to be? Dad?" As if there was actually a chance of switching roles for a day. If given the opportunity, I never would opt to take his role of going into work over being a mom... but sometimes it would be nice if the job didn't start so dad gum early. I was already up with him once at 4am and just prayed he would last, at least, until 8:30! I must have been asking for too much....
Luckily, Brian got up to change his diaper, and put him in the "exer-saucer" while he showered so I could get an extra 30 minutes of vegetation in bed. He even sliced up a grapefruit and buttered toast to lure me out of bed. It wasn't working. So, next thing I knew, Jackson was in bed next to me- slapping my face, pulling on my hair and slimming me with his big slobbery kisses. He wanted to play!
Begrudgingly, I got out of bed. I was wishing for the days when I could sleep in, or at least wake up on my own.
I got some food in me, kissed Brian goodbye, and looked at Jackson thinking, "what are we going to do with you?" It's moment like that when he gives me the sweetest smile that makes my heart melt and my thought process change.
"OK Jackson, I'll be your mom today!"

No comments:

Post a Comment