Sunday, August 9, 2015

Deer Creek Open Water Swim


Yesterday Morning, I raced in my first open water swim. It should be called self-induced hypothermia swim! I signed up for the 1 mile distance with no wetsuit, and man! It was CO-OLD! I had practiced with Brian a few times in open water (BoraBora and the Lake a few times), but the rest of my training came from when I went swimming at Orem Rec this winter while recovering from hip surgery.  I was really nervous about how I would do.  It was only a mile, and I could have swam a longer distance (there was a 5K, 10K, and 10 Mile swim also), but I wanted to sprint and see how fast I could swim 1 mile.




 At the beginning, as we were all waiting for each division to start, it was cold, the sun hadn't come up yet, and I wondered why on earth I signed up! I was freezing before I got in the water. But we waited around for a long time before they actually started the race, and by the time it was my turn, I was ready! I made the oh -so-common mistake of gunning in too hard at the beginning. I lead out with the faster swimmers for about 10 minutes and then I started crashing! I felt my whole body struggling with every stroke to breath and to move. The water felt so heavy. I finished it in 34 minutes! Not bad for my first try, I guess I can't complain. The competition was tough this year! The men swept the competition!





Brandon slept over last night so he could watched the kids early in the morning, since Brian and I had to leave SUPER early for the race. The kids think Brandon is super cool. He was brave enough to bring all the kids down to the finish line! It was great having them there at the finish. Surprisingly, the water didn't feel cold to them! i don't know what it is with kids! Everyone, including Isaac jumped in with their PJ's on. Brian was my spotter and kayaked beside me. He was a great support. He snapped all the photos of us and took the kids on a mini kayak ride after the race. It took me 2 hours to stop shivering! I was soon cold! 


 But! I did something hard, I completed it pretty well, and I got a free shirt and a medal :)





No comments:

Post a Comment