Thursday, July 23, 2015

French Polynesia- Moorea

We arrived on Moorea just in time for sunset and to get checked in to our over water bungalow. The hotel experience was amazing. The grounds were beautiful. The room had a glass bottom floor where we could spot fish swimming in the coral below. Breakfast buffet was included. Restaurants were on site which saved us time in looking for places to eat, although we did venture out to other restaurants for dinner on occasion. Everything was very tranquil and beautiful like you'd expect from a tropical paradise vacation. 




We set out early to visit the concierge so that we could book our week of exploration and activities. Everything we wanted to do had to be booked with a guide. Our week was going to be packed with adventure!


We started off by renting a car and driving around the island. It was a fun way to see the inner parts of the island on our own, without a guide. In these tropical islands, it usually rains every day, but the sun always comes out. Pictures just can't do justice to the beauty we saw. It was so lush. Many of the peaks here have never been summited because the terrain is too treacherous. Brian would have loved to climbed Rotui, but it was too wet and slippery while we were there.









 We had a 15 minute break from our driving expedition to a 4 wheeling tour. We ran to our room, jumped in the ocean off our balcony, and ran to the lobby to meat our next adventure guide!


 Our guide took us off-roading for 3 1/2 hours around the inner island. We got to stand in the crater of the volcano, reach peaks with amazing views, and go through pineapple/avocado/banana fields.




Halfway through the ride, I started getting aches in my body and by the time we got home I was fighting full-blown chills and fever. By midnight I was puking everything I had eaten for dinner. It was awful! I was crying while I was leaning over the toilet. The realization that I was in paradise with the flu on the first vacation Brian and I had taken together without the children in 10 years was more than disappointing! Brian gave me a blessing and I prayed all night long that I would get better very quickly. We had plans to go snorkeling the next morning but it was too late to cancel and get refunded our money...and I really wanted to go! By morning, I felt decent enough to go, so we crossed our fingers that I would stay OK while on the boat. It was a chance to swim with shark and rays, and I really wanted that experience. Brian wasn't a fan so much. The food was terrible, the weather was less than desirable, but the ocean life was amazing. I loved it. I was feeling good for that part only, and by the time we got back on the boat for the ride home, I was fighting chills and fever again. My prayer was answered just long enough.






The next day and a half we rested around the hotel. We had to cancel a deep sea fishing excursion, but had fun relaxing instead. I was trying to rest and recuperate. I could only handle soup and bread, if anything at all. I felt awful! I finally decided it was time to see the pharmacy, which runs in French Polynesia like it does in Mexico. After talking to the pharmacist about my symptoms and explaining that I was indeed not pregnant-- he put me on a round of antibiotics and other medications.

 Brian loved the pina coladas more than any other drink!

 We visited a vanilla plantation





For the rest of the trip, I just worked hard at enjoying what we had- while we had it, even though I didn't feel great. We snorkeled around our bungalow, went for a scooter ride, and I buckled down for one of the favorite things we did on our trip: canyoning.  


  We got a new room with a private pool!

 Our canyoning guides were a French couple who had lived on Moorea for 10 years. The took us down 6 waterfall repels, 3 rock slides and 2 jumps. It was amazing. I really enjoyed this part of the trip. We saved one of the best things for last. What was more amazing is that I did this all on a mostly fasting stomach, because I couldn't keep anything down (I had a little applesauce and a small piece of toast for breakfast, no lunch). Once again, I was blessed to feel good for just long enough. My legs were weak from being sick and lack of food, and the water pressure from the falls was very strong. All I had brought were reef shoes, so not exactly the best for gripping the rock, but with all that said...I made the trip without a scratch! The guides had a waterproof camera which we borrowed and has most of the pictures from our trip. They will email them to us soon and I'll add them to this later. It was amazing. After canyoning, we showered up at the hotel and started the travel home! The vacation was over before we knew it. I was ready to get back to the family and comforts of home. But I'd love to do something like this again!




No comments:

Post a Comment