Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cursed Virus!

There are times when children cause us to worry to the point of tears and compel us to pray our hearts out unceasingly to God in their behalf. Sickness is one of those times. Jackson started out last week (besides getting stitches) with a little chest cold, and try as I might, I could not keep all the germs from his sneezes and coughs contained. Zoey got sick. We were able to keep on top of it at first, but Sunday night, she had a turn for the worse. After 3 consecutive nights of no sleep (no exaggeration), I decided I better take her in to see the Doctor. She had a nearly constant temperature of 101, would hardly nurse (just enough to stay hydrated) and her coughing had become more restricted.

Luckily I did. Her blood-oxygen level was so low it was near critical. They sent us over to the hospital where we endured tests, suctioning of her lungs, chest x-rays, and lots and lots of waiting. Why? To find out if she had this cursed and very scary virus called RSV. She does.

I view my blog as my journal. Someday I will look back at this post and think: "Wow, how did we make it through so many sleepless nights like this one?" It might just have something to do with loving my child more than loving myself (or my sleep). It might have something to do with those fervent prayers for them to make it through the night, which in turn, blesses me to get out of bed time and again to give attention and care. It might have something to do with my several family members who live close enough to step up and give help where needed (tending, grocery shopping and meals- Thank you VERY much). Although she is far from being better, here is a sample of what the last few nights have been like.

Night 4:
10 pm: Nebulizer treatment with Albuterol (a vaporizing treatment to open up the bronchial tubes and relax her muscles in the lungs so she can breath). Breathing better.

1 am: coughing makes her wake up crying; try to nurse but non-responsive, falls asleep in my arms. Temperature at 102. Give her .8mg of Tylenol for fever, try to nurse again but won't (hasn't eaten since 6pm). Feed her 1/2 ounce of pumped breast milk from a dropper. Falls back to sleep at 2:20 am.

3:30am: wakes up coughing, soothe her back to sleep. Fever still high. Won't eat.

5am: Wakes again, try to nurse but still non-responsive. Falls asleep in my arms.

6am: Fever at 101. Another round of Tylenol. Another round of feeding from a dropper (she has had less than 2 ounces in a 12 hour period).

6:30: Jackson wakes up.

7am: "The morning breaks the Shadows flee!" (this was literally the hymn that popped in my head this morning). She is alert and wants to nurse! Fever gone. Nebulizer treatment for breathing. Doing much better. What is it about the daytime? Things are so much better when the sun is up.

8am: falls asleep and sleeps for 4 hours without interruption (so did I-Ma and Pa Beutler took Jackson for the morning)! Yea! Luckily we have been able to keep Zoey out of the hospital for any extended stays, and we hope she continues to improve. Say a prayer for us- Brian is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment