Monday, May 5, 2008

Recipe of the week

My great sister-in-law started doing this on her blog, and I totally enjoy it because I love her recipes (she's a great cook) and I'm always looking for new but tried-and-true good recipes! What I like about it is she just posts one recipe that she is already making for dinner that week. I think that if it's something she's making for dinner it's probably a family favorite and one that she has made often. She invited others to do the same on their blogs~so I'm giving it a try myself. I hope you enjoy the recipes that we enjoy and maybe you can post something too!

This is what we are having for dinner tonight. It's Brian's favorite meal at Springtime when these veggies are at their best. It is meatless, but filling. I'm sure you could add chicken if you absolutley needed to, but I think it's perfect without...

Spring Pasta

8 oz. Penne pasta
1 head broccoli (cut to be bite-sized)
2 zucchini – sliced
8 oz. asparagus – trimmed
4 oz snow peas – trimmed
1 Cup frozen peas

sauce:
4 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
Lg. pinch grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
parmesan


Steam broccoli, zucchini, asparagus, and snow peas in a pan of boiling, salted water. Cook until tender but not too soft (I usully add the rest of the vegetable stock not being used for the sauce to cook the veggies in too).

Remove from heat and rinse under cold water to stop them from cooking further. I add the frozen peas in and mix with the other veggies here. The steam will cook them just fine.

Cook pasta in large pan with 1 tbsp. olive oil; drain and cover to keep warm. While pasta is cooking, mix butter with vegetable stock and cream in large pan, over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. It should thicken slightly.

Add pasta, cooked vegetables, and heat through. Transfer pasta to warmed serving dish and mix in parmesan to taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment