Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Isaac Quinn

 I have to say this little guy is worth the sleep deprivation and the comments from my kids like: "Is there another baby in your tummy?" (from Eli) "How come your tummy isn't shrinking?" (from Jackson- who also asked "How come you still look pregnant?"). Zoey is the only child who hasn't commented on my post-pregnancy figure, which immediately puts her on Santa's nice list! Love my kids…don't love the honesty sometimes though! ha ha.

 Isaac Quinn was born on December 12 at 12:53 am. He was 7 lbs 6 oz and 19 inches long. His birth story is rather short (from the time my water broke to the time he was born was just about 90 minutes), but the story surrounding his birth is a bit longer.


We went to bed on Wednesday night after watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. It was an effort to make light of an emotionally draining day. We were scheduled to be induced that morning, but as luck would have it, Eli came into our room at 2am that same morning with croup. Calvin had been at instacare the night before and we hoped it was something we could keep under control and still keep our delivery plans, but with 2 sick with respiratory issues, I knew there was no way I could make that decision to bring a baby home into that environment. Wednesday passed with taking care of sick kids and dealing with bouts of tears as my anticipation for having a baby would be put in hold...

But our baby boy had plans of his own! At 11:15, after just dozing off, I awoke to  a popping sound and three gushes of water. The unexpected happened and I realized my water broke! I hopped in the shower (to get clean from sick kids' germs before holding a newborn) while Brian called the doctor and my mom to tell them the news. My contractions were coming strong and regular and we couldn't wait for my mom to show up before leaving for the hospital. By the time we got checked in at the hospital 30 minutes later, I was at a 7. I hadn't decided to do this birth natural, and with the fatigue and dealing with sick kids the days before and the emotional day it had been, I wasn't mentally prepared to go through with it. I asked for an epidural, which they told me I was too progressed for, but they gave me the option for a spinal (which I have later come to regret). It was nice to be pain free for a few minutes, but I have been dealing with headaches ever since. Anyway, within a couple of contractions, I was complete and he was born a few minutes later!



Just short of 24 hours after his birth, he began to decline. His breathing was fast, which usually indicates a sign of infection. He was hypoglycemic and dropping weight fast. he was down to 6 lbs 13 oz, which is smaller than Zoey was when she was born! The nurses immediately put him on an IV, antibiotics, did chest x-rays, blood cultures and all the precautionary measures. We had to stay at the hospital an extra 48 hours until he was cleared to go, but slowly things began to look normal again. His vitals were checking out OK, all except his breathing, which is still fast (called tachypnea) . He is slowly gaining weight and looking better. I felt so bad for his little hand that had the IV. It was so sad! Luckily we had great nurses. They were wonderful.



We finally got to bring Isaac home on Sunday. We were looking forward to moving on with our lives and letting things get back to a new normal. And then Zoey woke up with croup!! ugh! I hate the winter! My mom has Zoey and Eli this week (who are the sickest) to try and keep the kids separated. It's the most helpful thing I could ask for! Thanks goodness for grandmas who are willing to take sick kids! It's a lot to manage. They sure love her! The nurses said to watch for tachypnea patients, because they can get sick really quickly. I'm nervous to see how this winter goes and how much we have to survive. 




We love our Isaac though! We are excited to have in in our family. He is loved by all his siblings, and they beg for times to hold him. He's a cutie! I'm excited for Brian to take his newborn pictures!



No comments:

Post a Comment