Monday, December 20, 2010

Good things come in small packages

One of my favorite outfits to dress Eli in this season is this onesie that says "Good things come in small packages." My sister sent it to us when he was born. Last night I had an experience that made me appreciate that statement even more!
Eli is cursed with hiccups daily, and sometimes more than once a day. I think it bugs me more than it does him...just the fact that he gets them so frequently is an odd phenomenon I think. But this is how that phenomenon blessed our lives....
I was having a pleasant dream about him and then I randomly wake up with the hiccups in the middle of the night. I haven't had hiccups in what seems like years! What's even more weird is that they came randomly in the middle of my sleep! I thought, "That's odd. I was just dreaming about Eli, and then I wake up with the hiccups like he usually does." Then something told me to go check on Eli. I'm glad I listened to that voice. Eli had wiggled himself into the corner of his crib and was face down in the sheets, unable to move his head from left to right. I knew he wasn't getting any air. I immediately adjusted him and could hear him suck in a deep breath. I know he wasn't in that position for long, otherwise we wouldn't have had such a happy ending, but I'm grateful for the blessing it was to wake up with hiccups in the middle of the night, for the voice that prompted me to check on Eli and for the timing of it all! Timing was everything last night. I usually sleep through the night so long as my kids are sleeping, and I never would have thought to check on him otherwise. I know Heavenly Father is watching out for our little family, even as we sleep! I have a line in my patriarchal blessing that says I will receive promptings from the Lord, and that I will know that they come from the Him and they are not accidents and those promptings will be a blessing to me if I listen. I'm so grateful for that!  

I have to say Eli is more than just a "good thing" in our lives.

1 comment: