Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Things don't slow down

Last week, was our chance to take the Bell's kids for three days in fulfilment of our "kid swap". The cousins always have fun together, and honestly, they behaved better than my own. I tried to make sure we did something fun each day. We visited some parks, fed the ducks, made cookies and watched movies. It went by pretty fast. (Uncle) Brian kept saying, "see, we can handle 6 kids!" My kids kept calling Brian (their dad) "uncle Brian" for days even after they had gone home. We hope to be able to do this swap every year because it is soooo nice when it's your turn to have three days "off."

We had put in an order for fruit at the beginning of August, and now that it's mid September, we are reaping it all in! We canned 40 jars of pears last weekend, and our peaches are ready and waiting to be canned (we have three bushels). The only thing that is slowing us down is that we all got slammed with a wretched head cold! I haven't been so sick in such a long time and I am so tired I feel like I could sleep 12 hours only to wake up and feel like I could go back to bed! We have also bottled homegrown tomatoes and some soup base, but we also plan to do applesauce and are waiting for the grapes to come in for our homemade grape juice. I had forgotten how busy September is! I hope we can keep up!

Friday night was our 5th annual dutch oven cook-off. It was well-attended and the food was delicious. We are going to put together a dutch-oven cook book (after 5 years we have some AMAZING recipes to share). I'll post more about that event as I get pictures back from Danny.

On another note, I only have 2 more doctor appointments left until the baby comes! All have voted that it's a boy except for Annie and Danny....so we'll see!





No comments:

Post a Comment