Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wedding Cake

I have never made a tiered cake before and decided to give it a try. Well- actually I was more or less "assigned" to give it a try. I am on the enrichment committee for my ward. Since we are celebrating the Relief Society's Birthday this month, our ward put together a program centered around the wedding feast from the 10 virgins parable (BTW- it was fabulously uplifting).

Now, we all know that women can outdo themselves, but what would a Relief Society function be without a wedding cake as a center piece on each table? I am one who usually votes for simplicity... and trust me...this was easier than what was originally planned!

I have to admit I was excited to give it a try. I took a few pictures of the process, because it took a day to make, and because I was a little impressed with the outcome.

I baked an Italian pineapple wedding cake. It was dense which made the layering aspect easier to work with, yet moist and tasty too. Brian hates cake (along with pineapple and coconut) and he loved this one! The recipe can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Italian-Wedding-Cake/Detail.aspx

I used the frosting from this recipe as the filling in between the layers by adding 1 cup of crushed pineapple to the batter. For the rest of the cake, I frosted it with a typical vanilla cool whip frosting.

I have to give a big THANKS to my husband, who did all the leveling and cutting the layers for me! He is a perfectionist, and did a meticulously good job. Much better than I would have done!
After the cake was leveled and layered, I placed a simple syrup coat over the cake to keep it moist, covered it with Saran wrap and refrigerated it over night. Then I iced the cake with a crumb coat, let that set in the fridge, and then iced it again with the final coat. I sprinkled toasted coconut over the top, and added a few flowers for decoration (with help from my mom- she came over to watch the kiddos while I attended Enrichment becuase Brian was gone- THANK YOU mom)!

I won't be starting up a cake bakery soon, but I think it turned out fairly decent for my first try! A little rustic, but good. And the most important part is that it tastes good.





No comments:

Post a Comment