Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Washington Trip

We drove up to Washington this weekend to surprise Elmo for Father's Day. It's a 10 hour drive...if you don't have kids! We cut the first leg of the trip into three sections. Our first pit stop was eating lunch at a taco van in Burley Idaho. It was muy sabroso!
Zoey is our little food lover. I had to get a picture of her trying to eat this peach. It reminded me of Jackson at that same age. I was eating it, actually, I only has a bite when she asked for 'some' and I never got it back!

We had a lot of this going on....what is it about long car rides that makes you so sleepy? The kids did pretty well on the drive, much better than I expected. However, we did have some "moments" which I don't have pictures of!
Our second stop was in Jerome, Idaho to visit my grandpa. It was the kids' first chance to meet their great-grandpa and I HAD to get pictures of that. It was a very nice visit and the kids had a couple of hours to stretch their legs. My grandpa keeps a very well-kept yard and garden and Brian likes to pick his brain for information. Jackson and Zoey liked the dogs. They tried to feed them grass, like they do horses, but the dogs were just interested in licking their hands and the kids thought it was because they liked the grass. ha ha!
We made our third stop for the day in Caldwell, Idaho to spend the evening with my Sister and her family. The kids had fun playing with the cousins. Here is a bath picture Jackson may come to hate when he gets older.....but his face is so darn cute in this one!


We left early Saturday morning to finish the drive to Kennewick. We arrived just after lunch and made a doorbell surprise (although we suspect he knew something was up)! We trained Jackson to say 'boo' at the door and both he and Zoey practiced saying it in the car. Over and over and over.....

We were fed really well! Yummy home-made food is so nice when your traveling. Jackson helped grandpa make pancakes on Sunday Morning. Here are the boys in a Father's Day shot. We spent a lot of time just catching up and talking. We had the chance to visit the pool, playground, and go on a drive to see some local sights. In these moments were the tender things I wish I could have caught on film...like Jackson reaching up to grab Elmo's hand as they walked side by side to the pool, or the million times Jackson asked grandpa to come 'get me', or Zoey saying "good morning" and "I love you" to grandma and grandpa. It was so wonderful to see the kids warm up to them since they've been away the last 9 months.
The visit was so worthwhile. We had a lot of quality time and we all enjoyed seeing Elmo and Judy. It was hard to believe the weekend was over by the time Monday morning rolled around. We made a straight shot home that day with only one stop for lunch in famous Baker City, Oregon. It was a cute town, and I made Brian buy me some fudge from a local shop that was Delicious! Nearly 12 hours after we left that morning, we rolled into our garage, and it felt good to be home and off the road! To all our astonishment, Zoey didn't want to leave her car seat and actually CRIED when we took her out, begging to get back in!































No comments:

Post a Comment